Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Low Fashion: Is It Just Me?

I really should be talking about high fashion and there really is a lot to be proud of in the Nigerian fashion industry today but that topic is for another day. Also I promised myself that I shouldn't always be complaining but I have to tell it like I see it.

I recently travelled to Abuja and thought I would give my daughter (a budding fashion designer) a pleasant surprise by buying her two local fashion magazines at the airport.

On opening them I was shocked at the terrible dresses that the editor thought worthy of being in his magazine. Not being satisfied with that, on the way back home I bought another magazine which of course was also sealed.

I had innocently assumed that 'lightening wouldn't strike' three times in one place, particularly as I had paid more (N600) for it. Shock! Horror! It was worse than the other two.

My daughter looked at me with such pity in her eyes. Well ... it sounds much better than the reality - her eyes were actually saying 'mumu'.

I said "who buys these things?" To which she replied, "People like you!" Enough said.

Am I so out of sync with what others appreciate? Please reassure me. Save my sanity.

4 comments:

  1. it is not surprising at all!
    when u go out u see lovely wellmade clothes.
    but these photographers seem to think it is only the flamboyant looking dresses that are worthit.
    u also have to bear in mind that unlike america,england,paris and the rest,there are no such things as 'fashion photographers'.
    it is very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...it sounds much better than the reality - her eyes were actually saying..." now this is a good line.

    However, as to your ""who buys these things?"" 'tis unfortunate, but, i daresay we.

    Unfortunate, because rather than we setting personal standards for ourselves and trying to enhance them by what we 'hear' or 'see'; we set standards for ourselves using what we 'see' and 'hear'.

    Many a magazine celebrating these so called fashion simply don't understand that, cos some people are titled 'celebrities' (who really have no intellectual depth) does not make what they wear right (& or apprpriate).

    Unfortunately, 'tis endemic in our society, to celebrate 'celebrities'. Whatever happened to the luxury of celebrating like new generation of Nigeria's future like the Chiamandas, Asa, TY Bellos, Helon Habilas, Toni Kans.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. The question is not "Who would buy this," it's "Who would WEAR this"! I live in NYC and every day I see young women wearing get-ups that shouldn't be seen by people outside their immediate families. From the spaghetti strapped dresses with bra showing (at least they're wearing bras) ... to the booty-molded short shorts that leave NOTHING to the imagination ... to yesterday's favorite: a top with a message written across the front proclaiming that it's bed time. I wanted to point my finger, shouting "That's a pajama top; you can't wear that in public!" But I didn't. I kept my thoughts to myself, sharing them only with my family and you, dear friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is so true, some of the clothes that are featured are just to make a statement and have no regard for what actually looks good

    Fashionxfades.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete